APPLICATIONS BY NON-RESIDENT FOREIGN STUDENTS (2016-2017) – GRADUATE PROGRAM (MASTER’S DEGREE OR PHD) IN COMMUNICATION (PPGCOM) OF THE UNIVERSIDADE FEDERAL DO RIO DE JANEIRO (UFRJ) APPLICATIONS BY NON-RESIDENT FOREIGN STUDENTS (2016-2017) – GRADUATE PROGRAM (MASTER’S DEGREE OR PHD) IN COMMUNICATION (PPGCOM) OF THE UNIVERSIDADE FEDERAL DO RIO DE JANEIRO (UFRJ)
Foreign students wishing to study in the Graduate Program in Communication (PPGCOM) of the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ), whether for a Master’s degree or a PhD, should send the following documents by email to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, between May 24th and June 19th, 2015:
– Curriculum vitae;
– Research Project (a maximum of 20 pages), including: Title; Introduction; Objectives; research question and literature review and Hypotheses; Theoretical Approach; Methodology; Bibliography. Foreign students are exempt from the entrance exam and interview that the Program requires of Brazilian applicants and resident foreigners. If they are accepted, foreign students will be required to pass language proficiency exams to meet the PPGCOM’s foreign language requirements, during their first year of study (proficiency in English, for both Master’s and PhD, as well as either Spanish or French for the PhD alone).
Scholarships and grants
Foreign students should be aware that they are not eligible for study grants from the Brazilian federal government agencies CAPES and CNPq and once they are registered students, they may not reapply to the postgraduate program as residents of Brazil to take advantage of eligibility for such grants. If they need financial aid, they should apply to the exchange scholarships and grants programs offered by agencies for international academic cooperation.
The application process for foreign candidates is separate from the regular one. A faculty committee will evaluate these candidates according to the following criteria:
– Quality of the research project submitted by the candidate;
– Academic record, including participation in academic events and publications;
– Affinity with one of the PPGCOM’s lines of research of the project and of the candidate’s profile, as evidenced in his or her curriculum vitae,;
– Availability of a professor able to supervise the research project;
– The impact of the candidate’s presence on the relations between his or her institution and country of origin and the PPGCOM.
Number of places available
The PPGCOM makes available up to four places for foreign students each year, two for the Master’s and two for the PhD degrees, in each of the two lines of research).
The results will be communicated to the candidates by July 1st, 2017. Classes begin in March 2017.
For more information about our program please go to http://www.pos.eco.ufrj.br/site. All the classes are in Portuguese. Those who are not yet fluent in Portuguese and have questions about entrance requirements can contact Prof.Denilson Lopes (chair) (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions. Please feel free to resend this information.