Sports Digest: Worcester rallies for 4-3 ECHL win over Mariners
Goals from Jacob Hayhurst and Brent Beaudoin 4:29 apart early in the third period lifted the Worcester Railers to a 4-3 win in the ECHL on Wednesday night against the Maine Mariners in Worcester, Massachusetts.
The loss ended a five-game point streak for the Mariners, who had won four and lost in shootouts in their last five games.
Cameron Askew had a goal and an assist for the Mariners, who also got goals from Reid Stefanson and Conner Bleackley.
Maine plays at Reading at 7 p.m. Friday.
THE H : Rochester Americans forward Ben Holmstrom has been suspended eight games for “homophobic language”, the American Hockey League has announced.
Holmstrom, signed for a pro tryout in February, was given a game misconduct for using offensive language late in the first period of a home game against the Utica Comets on March 30.
Holmstrom, 34, a career minor leaguer who played college hockey at UMass Lowell, has already served a two-game suspension. AHL officials say that as part of his punishment, Holmstrom will participate in “diversity and inclusive education.”
WNBA: The Atlanta Dream acquired the No. 1 overall pick in the WNBA Draft from the Washington Mystics.
The Mystics got the No. 3 pick on Monday and the No. 14 pick in the second round.
Washington also has the right to trade its 2023 first-round pick with Atlanta’s first-round pick acquired in Los Angeles on Feb. 5. The Dream traded Chennedy Carter and Li Yueru’s rights to the Sparks for LA premiere Erica Wheeler. -the draft pick next year and the No. 15 pick this season.
Atlanta still retains the No. 15 pick in the second round of the draft.
The trade gives Atlanta, which finished 8-24 last season, the first draft pick for only the second time in franchise history. In 2009, the Dream used the No. 1 overall pick to recruit Angel McCoughtry, who led the team to the WNBA Finals in 2010, 2011 and 2013.
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti has tested negative for coronavirus, allowing him to fly to London to make the squad in the Champions League game against Chelsea.
Ancelotti contracted COVID-19 last week and did not travel to England with the rest of the Madrid squad on Tuesday before the first leg of the quarter-finals. He missed his side’s 2-1 win over Celta Vigo in the Spanish Premier League on Saturday.
“He will travel to London this morning to join the first-team training camp,” Madrid said in a statement.
Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel said his side would gain a slight advantage if Ancelotti missed Wednesday’s game at Stamford Bridge, but wanted the Italian coach to be by his side on the touchline. Ancelotti is trying to win his second Champions League with Madrid, after the first in 2014.
• Karim Benzema scored three goals as Real Madrid beat defending champions Chelsea 3-1 in the first leg of the quarter-finals.
• Villarreal picked up another surprising league result with a 1-0 victory against Bayern Munich in the first leg of the quarter-finals.
Arnaut Danjuma’s goal early in the first half was enough for Villarreal.
Bayern were unbeaten in their last 22 Champions League away games, with 17 wins and five draws in a record run that began after a 2017 loss to a Paris Saint-Germain side coached by Emery.
PREMIER LEAGUE: Everton dipped a point clear of the relegation zone after conceding in the 85th minute to lose 3-2 at Burnley in a wild end-to-end game.
Maxwel Cornet grabbed the winner for Burnley, who climbed above Watford to 18th and within striking distance of passing Everton in 17th.
AMERICAN MEN: The United States will host Grenada on June 11 and play El Salvador three days later in World Cup warm-up matches.
CONCACAF Nations League matches will follow exhibitions on June 1 and 5, the latter possibly against Uruguay.
The United States is also planning exhibitions on September 23 and 27.
Back in the World Cup for the first time since 2014, the United States open Group B against Scotland, Wales or Ukraine on November 21. They face England four days later and meet Iran on November 29.
CHARLESTON OPEN: Top seed Aryna Sabalenka won for the first time since late February, beating American Alison Riske 7-6(3), 6-4 to start the weather-delayed tournament in Charleston, South Carolina.
Sabalenka of Belarus had lost her opening matches in Indian Wells and Miami after falling to new No.1 Iga Swiatek in the quarter-finals in Qatar six weeks ago.
Other seeds include No. 3 Karolina Pliskova, No. 6 Jessica Pegula, No. 9 Madison Keys, No. 10 Belinda Bencic and No. 12 Alize Cornet.
Pliskova of the Czech Republic defeated Katarina Zavatska of Ukraine 5-7, 7-5, 6-4. American Pegula edged out Jasmine Paolini of Italy 6-2, 6-1, and the US Keys beat Norway’s Ulrikke Eikeri 6-3, 6-1.
Keys were due to start Tuesday evening until bad weather delayed things.
Bencic, who won Olympic gold in Tokyo, beat Linda Fruhvirtova of the Czech Republic 6-1, 7-6 (6). Cornet de France defeated American Hailey Baptiste 6-3, 6-2.
UNITED STATES MEN’S CLAY COURT CHAMPIONSHIP: Michael Mmoh beat Sam Querrey 6-2, 6-4 in the second round in Houston.
Mmoh, who had a second-round bye after No. 1 seed Casper Ruud dropped out with a wisdom tooth problem, advanced to a round-level quarter-final for the third time in his career.
Querrey, who has reached the final in Houston twice, was beaten after advancing to the quarterfinals of this tournament in five of the previous six seasons.
In other singles action, Nick Kyrgios beat Tommy Paul 6-4, 6-2 to reach his first tour-level quarter-final since doing so at this tournament in 2018. It’s the second time he qualifies for a quarter-final this season.
RETIREMENT: Former Australian Open finalist Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has announced he will be retiring after the French Open, hoping to put the finishing touches on an injury-plagued career ahead His public.
The 36-year-old Frenchman reached a career-high No.5 in 2012 but fell to No.220 after his last long injury layoff. This means he cannot automatically enter the Roland Garros main draw via his ranking and will have to rely on being granted wild card entry by the organizers.
BOSTON MARATHON: Athletes from Russia and Belarus who previously agreed to participate in this year’s Boston Marathon and who currently reside in either country will no longer be allowed to participate, the Boston Marathon Association announced.
The exclusion from the world’s oldest annual marathon also extends to athletes previously accepted into the BAA’s 5K event. However, this does not affect Russian or Belarusian athletes entered in the events who do not reside in the countries. They will be allowed to compete but will not be able to race under their country’s flag.
“Like so many others around the world, we are horrified and outraged by what we have seen and learned from the reports in Ukraine,” BAA President and CEO Tom Grilk said in a statement. “We believe that running is a global sport, and as such we must do what we can to show our support for the Ukrainian people.”
The BAA said it would not recognize the national affiliation or flags of Russia and Belarus until further notice. This year’s Boston Marathon, 5k and Invitational Mile do not include any professional or guest athletes from these countries.
Organizers said they will make reasonable efforts to refund entry fees to athletes who can no longer participate.
Neighborhood ‘battle’ stocks South Portland pantry with 15,000 pounds of food